Cytology: ThinPrep® Pap Test
Use of Test: Evaluation of cervical-vaginal specimen for premalignant, malignant and inflammatory changes.
Includes evaluation of:
CONTAINER IDENTIFICATION: Two patient identifiers are required on all specimen containers. Collection dates and specimen source should also be placed on the container. Identification may be afixed with a label or hand printed. Required identifiers include:
- Full legal first and last name of the patient
- MRN or other unique identifier to the patient
Obtain an adequate sampling from the cervix using a broom-like device or using a plastic spatula and endocervical brush.
- BROOM-LIKE DEVICE:
- Insert the central bristles of the broom into the endocervical canal deep enough to allow the shorter bristles to fully contact the ectocervix.
- Push gently, and rotate the broom in a clockwise direction five times.
- Immediately and vigorously swirl the cell contents into the Preservsit vial for at least 10 seconds or 10 swirls around the bottom of the vial.
- Insert the central bristles of the brush into the endocervical canal
- Rotate the brush in a clockwise direction 1/4-1/2 turn. NOTE that turning more than a 1/2 turn may cause excessive bleeding leading to an unsatisfactory pap test.
- Immedicatly and vigorously swirl and twirl the brush around the edges of the vial for at least 10 seconds or 10 swirls.
- Insert the spatula into the ectocervix
- Rotate the spatula one full turn in a clockwise direction
- Quickly place the spatula into the vial and swish in the liquid at least 10 times or 10 seconds
PLEASE NOTE: Vial should be properly closed to prevent spilling or leakage.
Cytology request form must include:
- Patient name: Full legal first and last names
- Date of birth
- Specimen source
- Date of collection
- Clinic, clinician's name and phone number
- Pertinent clinical history
- Date of last menstrual period
- Result of previous Pap smear
PLEASE NOTE: Results may be delayed or the sample rejected if pertinent and/or required information is missing or needs clarification.
- Negative for Intraepithelial Lesions
- Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance
- Atypical Squamous Cells cannot rule out High Grade Lesion
- Atypical Glandular Cells of Undetermined Significance
- Low Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion
- Human Papillomavirus
- Mild Dysplasia
- Mild Dysplasia with Human Papilloma Virus
- High Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion
- Moderate Dysplasia
- Severe Dysplasia
- Carcinoma in situ
- Endocervical Adenocarcinoma in situ
- Positive for Squamous Carcinoma
- Positive for Endocervical Adenocarcinoma
- Positive for Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
Limitations: Abnormal findings must be correlated with history and other test results.
Turnaround Time: 7 days
Test Code: 95001
Container: Call Cytology lab for supplies
Specimen Submission Requirements