- This event has passed.
WCLN Antibiotic Resistance Conference – 2022
April 26, 2022 @ 8:15 am - 3:45 pm
WCLN Antibiotic Resistance Conference – 2022
- Heather Alvarez, MS, CLS(ASCP)CM, Laboratory Manager, Prairie Ridge Health
- Eric Beck, PhD, D(ABMM), Technical Director of Microbiology, ACL Laboratories
- Tim Block, BS, MT(ASCP), Laboratory Manager, Froedtert West Bend Hospital
- Erik Munson, PhD, D(ABMM), Assistant Professor, College of Health Sciences, Marquette University
- Thomas Novicki, PhD, D(ABMM), Clinical Microbiologist, Marshfield Labs
- Logan Patterson, PhD, Antibiotic Resistance Laboratory Network Fellow, Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
- Raymond Podzorski, PhD, D(ABMM), Microbiology Director, St. Mary’s Hospital
- Carol Rauch, MD, Adjunct Associate Professor of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Brian Simmons, MS, MB(ASCP)CM,CIC, Lead Infection Preventionist, Gundersen Health System
- Alana Sterkel, PhD, D(ABMM), SM(ASCP)CM, Associate Director, Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
Description of Session:
The conference will focus on the important need for clinical laboratories to perform quality antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) and to participate in an antibiotic stewardship program in order to monitor for and prevent antimicrobial resistance. The conference will open with an overview of the real threat that antibiotic resistance poses to public health and what role the clinical labs have in combating this threat. This will be followed by a panel discussion on the role of antibiotic stewardship led by a clinical pharmacist and joined by clinical laboratorians and infection preventionists. We will conclude the morning by comparing the various automated systems available for performing antimicrobial susceptibility testing and providing an update on current antibiotic resistance surveillance in WI. Following lunch, attendees will learn how to effectively use the CLSI M100 and M45 documents and then learn more about the new CAP requirement to implement new antibiotic breakpoints within 3 years of their adoption. The speaker will discuss tools that are available to help laboratories meet the new regulations. We will round out the day discussing antibiograms and end by announcing and honoring the first annual Peter A. Shult awardee.
A certificate of participation will be granted to each participant based on 6.0 contact hours of instruction toward credit.
This program is co-sponsored by ASCLS-WI which is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. program.
As part of the new P.A.C.E. continuing education process, please go to the ASCLS CE Organizer web site to print your P.A.C.E. certificates. You will be asked for a code number to print the certificate. We will provide you this number during the webinar.
P.A.C.E. credits are only available to those who attended the conference. Please note that the deadline for receiving P.A.C.E. education credit for this webinar is May 26th, 2022.
- WCLN Antibiotic Resistance Conference Brochure
- 1 – Keynote: Combating the Real Threat of Antibiotic Resistance Handouts
- 1 – Keynote: Combating the Real Threat of Antibiotic Resistance Presentation
- 2a – The Role of Antibiotic Stewardship in Combating Antibiotic Resistance – Panel Discussion Handouts
- 2b – The Role of Antibiotic Stewardship in Combating Antibiotic Resistance – Panel Discussion Handouts
- 2c – The Role of Antibiotic Stewardship in Combating Antibiotic Resistance – Panel Discussion Handouts
- 2d – The Role of Antibiotic Stewardship in Combating Antibiotic Resistance – Panel Discussion Handouts
- 2 – The Role of Antibiotic Stewardship in Combating Antibiotic Resistance – Panel Discussion Presentation
- 3 – Automated Systems Comparison and Review Handouts
- 3 – Automated Systems Comparison and Review Presentation
- 4 – WI Antibiotic Resistance Surveillance Update Handouts
- 4 – WI Antibiotic Resistance Surveillance Update Presentation
- Deputy Secretary Deb Standridge Thank You Handouts
- Deputy Secretary Deb Standridge Thank You Presentation
- 5 – Creation and Use of Antibiograms Handouts
- 5 – Creation and Use of Antibiograms Presentation
- 6 – Meeting the New CAP Breakpoint Requirements Handouts
- 6 – Meeting the New CAP Breakpoint Requirements Presentation
- 7 – Navigating CLSI Documents M45 and M100 Handouts
- 7 – Navigating CLSI Documents M45 and M100 Presentation
- Peter Shult Presentation
- List of Resources