Onsite Safety & Health Consultation in Wisconsin
The Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene’s WisCon Program, as part of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Labor, currently offers on-site consultation services to assist private sector Wisconsin employers in meeting their obligations and responsibilities under the federal Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- There is no charge for consultation services to private sector employers. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene.
- The program is voluntary. We respond to requests from the management of small and mid-sized businesses to assist them in providing their workers with a safe and healthy place of employment.
- No penalties or enforcement action. Your only obligation as a requesting employer is a commitment to correct all serious hazards that are identified within a reasonable timeframe. Imminent danger situations must be corrected immediately.
- Skilled and knowledgeable staff. The program employs a wide range of safety and health professionals with considerable experience working with Wisconsin’s employers. Safety specialists, industrial hygienists, ergonomists, engineers and occupational health nurses work in unison to cover all aspects of workplace health and safety.
An on-site consultation visit can provide assistance to:
- Identify workplace hazards
- Conduct industrial hygiene monitoring
- Assist with OSHA non-formal complaint responses
- Assist with developing and assessing controls for OSHA citation abatement
- Conduct limited ergonomic assessments
- Recommend and assist in developing controls
- Evaluate and assist in developing and implementing necessary programs
- Evaluate and assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive safety and health management program
- Conduct limited training and education