Use of Test
Evaluation of brushings for premalignant, malignant or inflammatory changes. Includes brushings obtained from esophagus, bronchus, stomach, small bowel, large bowel, kidney, bladder .
As per clinician
Using NGYN ThinPrep® vial:
- Label ThinPrep® vial with patient’s full legal name, DOB, DOS, and specimen type.
- Vigorously roll the brush along the sides and bottom of the vial.
Alternate slide method:
- Label slides with patient’s full legal name, DOB, DOS, and specimen type..
- Smear brush onto clean, dry slide.
- Fix immediately in 95% ethanol or with cytology spray fixative.
- Allow slides to fix in 95% ethanol for at least 15 minutes. Then allow slides to completely air dry.
- Place fixed slides into slide container.
WSLH cytology requisition form #141 must include:
- Patient’s full legal name
- Clinic medical record number, if available
- Date of birth
- Date of collection
- Specimen source
- Number of slides submitted, if applicable
- Clinic, clinician name and phone number
- Pertinent clinical history
- Payment information
- Negative for malignant cells
- Atypical cells
- Suspicious for malignancy
- Positive for malignancy
Poorly fixed or air-dried samples impair evaluation. For some specimen types, a minimum number of locally expected cells must be present to determine adequacy. Without minimum numbers, the specimen may be rendered as non-diagnostic or unsatisfactory. The presence of abnormal cells will always be documented on the report regardless of the presence or absence of local cells.
PLEASE NOTE: Results may be delayed or the sample rejected if pertinent and/or required information needs clarification or is missing.
Specimen Submission Requirements
Brushing Kit #16 and Mailers – Instructions For Submitting Specimens For Non-gynecologic Evaluations. This kit is intended for collection and shipment of brushing (non-gynecologic) specimens for analysis of premalignant or malignant disease.
- Frosted-end glass slides (upon request)
- NGYN ThinPrep® vial
- Biohazard bag
- Absorbent cloth
- Plastic slide holder
- Styrofoam mailers
- Mailing labels
- Biohazard sticker
- Write patient’s full legal name on ThinPrep® container or glass slide as applicable
- Complete WSLH requisition form #141
- Collect specimen and transfer to NGYN ThinPrep® vial or to glass slide as applicable
- Insert glass slide in plastic slide holder
- Label holder with full legal name of patient
- Place the NGYN ThinPrep® vial and/or plastic holder into the biohazard bag
- Place biohazard bag and requisition orders into styrofoam container
- Place completed requisition form in the styrofoam mailer
- Label the styrofoam mailer with the following:
- Your laboratory/clinic’s address
- WSLH Cytology Department address
- Diagnostic specimen label
- Biohazard sticker
PLEASE NOTE: Transport ASAP or within 12 hours. The specimen does not need to be refrigerated or packed with ice. The styrofoam mailer does not need to be placed in a biohazard bag.