Sending Specimens to WSLH
Purple Mountain Solutions Courier Service
Purple Mountain Solutions is the selected courier service for the WSLH Newborn Screening Laboratory. See the Submitting Specimens section below for details on how to place an order for pick-up using the Purple Mountain Solutions website. Contact the Newborn Screening Laboratory at 608-262-6547 or NBSqualityreport@slh.wisc.edu if you have any questions.
After blood has been applied to the filter paper, proceed as follows:
- Allow blood-soaked collection card to dry in a horizontal (flat) position. Example image and drying rack example image
- Suspend blood-soaked area of collection card such that air can dry both sides of the card equally.
NOTE: Be sure the attached cover slip doesn’t come into contact with the blood until completely dry. Do not allow the blood-soaked portion of the collection card to come into contact with another surface (desktop, absorbent paper, etc.).
- Allow blood to air dry at room temperature for a minimum of three (3) hours.
NOTE: Do not use artificial heat (lamps, incubators, etc.) to dry the specimens.
- Evaluate specimen for acceptability. See How to Collect a Blood Specimen and sample images at Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory Collection Card.
- Replace the cover slip over the blood when completely dry.
- Forward specimens to the WSLH within 24 hours after collection.
- NEVER BATCH SAMPLES
- NEVER hold completed blood card for hearing or heart screening results.
- Specimens older than seven (7) days from collection date are unsatisfactory for testing, and a repeat collection will be required.
- Place specimen(s) to be submitted in the Purple Mountain Solutions envelope(s); no more than 20 per envelope to prevent potential damage to specimen cards.
- Place orders at: http://www.purplemountain.e-courier.com
- Online ordering how-to’s quick sheet
- Online ordering visual examples
- Orders can also be placed by calling Dispatch at 1-800-990-9668 or 715-839-9989.
- Purple Mountain Solutions picks up Newborn Screening specimens Sunday – Friday and delivers them to the WSLH for testing Monday – Saturday. All orders placed before noon will be picked up the same day. All pickup requests placed after noon will be picked up the following day.
- Place envelope(s) in designated location at your facility for pickup.
- Purple Mountain Solutions delivery costs are paid by the WSLH.