Sending Specimens to WSLH
Gold Cross/Statmedex Courier Service
Gold Cross/Statmedex is the selected courier service for the WSLH Newborn Screening Laboratory. See the Submitting Specimens section below for the Gold Cross/Statmedex online pickup order link and phone number. Contact the Newborn Screening Laboratory at NBSqualityreport@slh.wisc.edu if you have any questions.
After blood has been applied to the filter paper, proceed as follows:
- Allow blood-soaked collection card to dry in a horizontal (flat) position.
- Suspend blood-soaked area of collection card such that air can dry both sides of the card equally.
NOTE: Be sure the attached cover slip doesn’t come into contact with the blood until completely dry. Do not allow the blood-soaked portion of the collection card to come into contact with another surface (desktop, absorbent paper, etc.).
- Allow blood to air dry at room temperature for a minimum of three (3) hours.
NOTE: Do not use artificial heat (lamps, incubators, etc.) to dry the specimens.
- Evaluate specimen for acceptability. See How to Collect a Blood Specimen and sample images at Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory Collection Card.
- Replace the cover slip over the blood when completely dry.
- Forward specimens to the WSLH within 24 hours after collection.
- NEVER BATCH SAMPLES
- NEVER hold completed blood card for hearing or heart screening results.
- Specimens older than seven (7) days from collection date are unsatisfactory for testing, and a repeat collection will be required.
- Place specimen(s) to be submitted in the blue Gold Cross/Statmedex envelope(s); no more than 20 per envelope to prevent potential damage to specimen cards.
- Place order online at the Gold Cross/Statmedex website from 12 midnight-12 noon, Sunday-Friday for same-day pickup, OR, if you do not have internet access, place order by phone, 763-233-0099. PLEASE NOTE: We provide all submitters six days per week (Sunday-Friday) service. This service is on-call only; there are no more standing daily stops at any facility. We do not offer courier service on holidays at this time.
- Place blue envelope(s) in designated location at your facility for pickup; courier cannot go to multiple locations within any facility.
- Gold Cross/Statmedex delivery costs are paid by the WSLH.