Sending Specimens to WSLH
Statmedex Courier Service
Statmedex and its parent company, Medstat Systems, is the selected courier service for the WSLH Newborn Screening Laboratory. They have been providing medically specific courier services for the past 18 years and have impressed us with their commitment to quality service and patient care. See the Submitting Specimens section below for the Statmedex online pickup order link and phone number. Contact the Newborn Screening Laboratory at NBSqualityreport@slh.wisc.edu if you have any questions.
After blood has been applied to the filter paper, proceed as follows:
- Allow blood-soaked collection card to dry in a horizontal (flat) position.
- Suspend blood-soaked area of collection card such that air can dry both sides of the card equally.
NOTE: Be sure the attached cover slip doesn’t come into contact with the blood until completely dry. Do not allow the blood-soaked portion of the collection card to come into contact with another surface (desktop, absorbent paper, etc.).
- Allow blood to air dry at room temperature for a minimum of three (3) hours.
NOTE: Do not use artificial heat (lamps, incubators, etc.) to dry the specimens.
- Evaluate specimen for acceptability. See How to Collect a Blood Specimen and sample images at Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory Collection Card.
- Replace the cover slip over the blood when completely dry.
- Forward specimens to the WSLH within 24 hours after collection.
- NEVER BATCH SAMPLES
- NEVER hold completed blood card for hearing or heart screening results.
- Specimens older than seven (7) days from collection date are unsatisfactory for testing, and a repeat collection will be required.
- Place specimen(s) to be submitted in the blue Statmedex envelope(s); no more than 20 per envelope to prevent potential damage to specimen cards.
- Place order online at the Statmedex website from 12 midnight-12 noon, Sunday-Friday for same-day pickup, OR, if you do not have internet access, place order by phone, 763-233-0099. PLEASE NOTE: We provide all submitters six days per week (Sunday-Friday) service. This service is on-call only; there are no more standing daily stops at any facility. We do not offer courier service on holidays at this time.
- Place blue envelope(s) in designated location at your facility for pickup; courier cannot go to multiple locations within any facility.
- Statmedex delivery costs are paid by the WSLH.